Credible Climate Action
Menu

You are here

Vandemoortele is a Belgian food company specialized in margarine and oil products as well as frozen bakery products.

 

The corporate sustainability strategy focuses on balanced nutrition, protecting nature and enhancing lives.  

 

Until recently, Vandemoortele was calculating mainly its direct emissions linked to manufacturing processes and emissions linked to logistics. In the past CO2logic helped Vandemoortele to calculate the impact of several of their bakery products. It helped them to innovate and ecodesign their products for a lower climate impact.  

 

In 2020, a screening of the full impact of the company, including scope 3 emissions was made for the first time. Although the high-level calculation needs some finetuning, the main results are clear. The company wide CO2-eq emissions amount to approximately two million tonnes per year. Roughly 4% comes directly from  plants and offices, mainly from the use of electricity, heating (natural gas) and owned vehicles (these are the Scope 1 and the Scope 2 emissions). The lion’s share, approximately 96%, is related to raw materials that are purchased and from goods transportation (the so-called Scope 3 emissions). 86% of the Scope 3-emissions come from the ingredients and raw materials while the remaining 14% mainly originates from packaging and transport. 

 

Vandemoortele has been taking action to reduce their emissions. In 2020, the electricity that was used in their plants and offices throughout Europe was 100% from renewable sources, mostly hydro, windmills and solar power systems. To further reduce the energy consumption and CO2 emissions, the company increased the cooling efficiency, invested in LED lights, drew up a smart energy schedule (e.g. in order to manage peaks in power usage) and took many more actions. All these initiatives led to a 58% reduction in the carbon footprint in comparison to 2015. 

 

Vandemoortele wanted to go a step further and checked what is needed to ensure they are doing their part to respect the Paris Agreement and keep the global temperature rise below 1,5°C – 2°C. The best way to do this is to align with the Science Based Target Initiative. Science Based Targets (SBT) are greenhouse gas emission reduction targets that are in line with the level of decarbonisation required to meet the goals of the United Nations Paris Agreement on Climate Change. The Belgian initiative from The Shift “Belgian Alliance for Climate Action” is promoting this SBTi initiative. In this regard they asked CO2logic to perform a feasibility study to investigate what the consequences of an alignment with the SBTi would be.  

 

To be able to make this assessment, a full scope 3 screening had to be done (see above), since also scope 3 emissions have to be integrated in the Science Based Target if they represent more than 40% of the overall emissions. In a second step, possible reduction measures that were needed to respect the science-based reduction target were investigated. Discussions with technical experts resulted in a list of feasible actions. Once those actions were known, the implications of implementing them were analyzed (workload, capex, opex, reduction potential). This allowed CO2logic to develop a few scenarios for a possible alignment with the Science Based Targets for each reduction trajectory (WB 2°C or 1,5°C). This analysis allowed the management of Vandemoortele to commit and align with the SBTi join BACA , and which scenario to follow. Vandemoortele finally made this highly ambitious commitment to further decarbonize its activities and align with the SBTi. It now has 2 year time to further finetune its target and action plan in line with a decarbonization trajectory towards net zero emissions in 2050.  

 

Would you like support for assessing the feasibility of setting Science Based Targets for your organization, feel free to contact us via info@co2logic.com 

 

Sector: Food & Beverage
Our community: